Tuesday 14 August 2012

DIY - Cut neck T-shirt

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the awful quality of photos used in this blog. I don't have the best camera and taking photos of black/fluorescent material is never easy. So you'll just have to use your imagination a little bit!

Anyway, I've been watching a few videos on YouTube about DIY t-shirt cutting and decided to try it myself.


I found this t-shirt in the back of my drawers, it's a big t-shirt that I never wear (I didn't want to use one of my favourites for my first attempt)

Using sharp fabric scissors I cut across the shoulders through the front and the back of the t-shirt in a slightly curved lines. You don't have to use fabric scissors but it's pretty difficult to get through the seams if you use normal ones (unless you have some kind of super-human strength)

Then, using the cuts I had already made to the shoulders as a guideline I cut across the neck. I chose to follow the line of the existing collar but you can cut it however you want. Obviously, the further down you cut the further down the neckline will hang and vice versa but it's really down to personal preference... 

I then wanted to trim the sleeves so I drew a diagonal line going from the longest point at the top to the shortest point and the bottom. I rounded off the top corner of the sleeve to make it less blunt (sorry that is some truly awful explaining but the picture is pretty self explanatory) 

I followed the line I had cut in the sleeve to make a wider sleeve. I think this style is called "muscle shirt" which isn't very appealing but it's quite 'in' right now and I like the shape of it so I wanted to try it. It's important to bring the cuts in to make a semi-circle shape just so the cuts don't seem to blunt when you unfold it...

At this point, I tried my t-shirt on again just to see if I liked the cuts I'd made and if it needed any adjusting. I thought the sleeves looked a bit too long so I went back and trimmed about two inches off them. Again this is down to personal preference and how you want the t-shirt to come out...


Ta-dah! Ok so it's not that exciting but it does make the shirt slightly more wearable. I'm going to try this again because I think I cut the neckline too wide but other than that I'm pretty happy with it for a first time attempt (also I think it'll look better once I bung it in the wash and the cotton has rolled a bit) It's really versatile though as you can cut and roll and style the fabric however you want...

E.g here I just rolled up the sleeves to make it more of a vest top...


Anyway, that was my attempt. Let me know what you think of this style, have you tried cutting up your clothes? Did you get good results? 

No comments:

Post a Comment