Sunday 15 September 2013

Bakewell Slice | Recipe

Heyaaa,


The other day my mum bet me that I couldn't make a Bakewell Slice, so the next day I did. I now realise that this was probably some kind of trick, she knows I can't resist a bet and wanted Bakewell Slice. Damn my competitive attitude!! Anyway I forgot to take any photos of the actual process but here's the recipe so I'm sure you can work it out for yourself!

Happy Baking!



For the pastry
Mix 300g of plain flour with 125g of cold unsalted butter and 30g of caster sugar until you get a fine breadcrumb texture (you can do this in the blender or by hand whichever is easiest for you)
Add one egg and mix until you get a rough pastry. If this is too dry add a drop of milk.
Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, take the pastry out of the fridge and line a square tin with it. Then chill in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200c/Gas Mark 6
Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or lentils or anything else that will weigh down the pastry case whilst you bake it. Bake until the pastry is a light golden colour, this should take about 15 minutes.
Take the pastry out of the oven, remove the baking beans and paper, brush over with a beaten egg or milk and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.

For the filling
Beat together 225g of butter and 225g of caster sugar until they are light and fluffy.
Add 225g of ground almonds (I actually used 150g because I read my recipe wrong so you can change this depending on how almondy you want your slice) and 3 eggs. Make sure you fully beat in each egg after you add it.
To this, add the zest of one lemon and 50g of plain flour.

To assemble
Spread a good helping of raspberry jam over the pastry case (you'll want nearly a whole jar, I put in just over half a jar and it definitely needed more!)
Spread the almondy mixture over the top of the jam and sprinkle some flaked almonds over the top
Bake at 180c for around 20 minutes, until the mixture is golden and set
Allow the tarts to cool in the tin, then cut into squares and have with a cup of tea! Yum Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment