Wednesday 15 January 2014

Make it highstreet | The Golden Globes 2014

Hey, remember many thousands of years ago there was that thing called the 'Golden Globes 2014'? Yes, I know this post is horrendously late, I've been shoved full throttle back into uni work. Why oh why do they give you essays in January? Don't they know I've got award ceremonies to watch and pretty dresses to look at?!

Anyway, moving swiftly back to the Golden Globes. Hurray, I love the Golden Globes, they feel very shiny don't you think? So let's hop straight in at the deep end with my favourite dress of the night which belonged to the beautiful Emma Watson. Emma paired her backless Dior dress with a pair of cigarette trousers. I absolutely love it when ladies get away from the predictable dresses and this choice did it for me. Just like the People's Choice Awards there were loads of bright colours on show; Lupita Nyong'o looked gorgeous in Ralph Lauren, it was a potentially tricky colour but it just looked beautiful against her skin. I didn't even have that much of a problem with Lena Dunham's custard yellow dress - it takes bravery to rock custard.

The award organisers must have been giving a lot of 'plus ones' because the red carpet was chock full of expecting mums. They were all styled so well, I'm so glad pregnancy clothes are more fitted now, like Olivia Wilde's Gucci sequinned dress, rather than those horrible baggy sacks stylists used to make pregnant actresses walk around in a few years ago. Drew Barrymore looked bloomin' lovely in a floral number from Monique Lhuillier. I also really loved the unusual cut of Kerry Washington's dress, the add-on cape not only made her look well-proportioned but also nicely highlighted her baby bump - good combination.

As always there's some bad dresses. I was so disappointed in my favourite lady J-Law, her Dior dress wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination but she normally dresses so well that it just didn't seem very her. I wasn't a fan of Julia Roberts shirt/dress/thing looked like she was attending the '97 Golden Globes rather than the 2014. My least favourite dress of the night belonged to Zoe Saldana, which I really couldn't believe. She looked beautiful as always but the dress looked like a wardrobe had thrown up on her. Just pick one style!!

What dresses did you like? Which did you hate? Let me know 

L-R One-shoulder Maxi, Missguided, £14.99 // Amber Heard wears Versace // Chiffon One-Shoulder, House of Fraser, £34.50

L-R Lace Plunge Dress, Missguided, £34.99 // Amy Adams in Valentino // Red Halterneck, New Look, £28

Sequinned Midi Dress, Missguided, £44.99 // Olivia Wilde in Gucci

L-R Plunge bodycon midi, Boohoo.com, £12 // Reese Witherspoon in Calvin Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment